Max E. Bridges
What’s one of your defining successes?
Obtaining multiple U.S. and foreign patents for our client, which is an agricultural biotechnology company specializing in the expression, extraction and purification of proteins and other high-value products from plants. My current practice is a fun combination of science and the law, and obtaining several patents for this client that brought them a business advantage in their industry was a great success.
Max Bridges is a member of the Firm’s Natural Resources and Energy Service Team. He concentrates his practice in the areas of state and federal environmental laws involving air, water, waste, and endangered species.
Max is also a member of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Protection & Litigation Service Team. He focuses his practice on patent prosecution and enforcement, patent litigation, providing legal opinions, client counseling and transaction support.Show More
- Mr. Bridges has experience counseling clients on environmental laws, evaluating environmental due diligence investigations, especially Phase I Environmental Site Assessments and Phase II Subsurface Investigations, to manage environmental liability during transactions. Additionally, he has handled numerous remediation projects and cost recovery claims governed by CERCLA, RCRA, and state counterpart programs; obtained many Brownfield Exemptions for clients through Kentucky’s Brownfield Program; negotiated and obtained environmental covenants for clients; and assisted clients during enforcement and permit issues with a variety of state and federal agencies including Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, and US EPA.
- Mr. Bridges also represents individuals and corporations in evaluating the patentability of inventions, prosecuting patent applications, and enforcing patent rights. His practice also includes counseling clients in patent litigation, providing legal opinions concerning freedom to operate, reviewing IP contracts, and representing clients in matters before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Obtained multiple US and foreign patents for our client which is an agricultural biotechnology company specializing in the expression, extraction and purification of proteins and other high value products from plants.
- Obtained a number of utility and design patents for clients in a broad range of fields including software, renewable energy, the electrical utility industry, medical devices, agricultural packaging products, mechanical devices, shipping containers, devices for mine safety, and others.
- Defended our client in a patent infringement lawsuit related to cotton bale wrapping machines and methods.
- Reynolds Consumer Products LLC v. Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District – This was an administrative proceeding challenging terms the Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District sought to include in a Title V permit and it was resolved by an agreement between the parties.
- Represent the Oldham County Environmental Authority in a variety of matters including contract preparation and review, easement negotiations, condemnation actions, and environmental compliance, and others.
- Merrick, et al v. Brown-Forman Corporation and Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. – Plaintiffs seek class certification for personal and real property damage and injunctive relief for mold allegedly caused by defendants’ whiskey warehouse operations. The putative class representatives assert causes of action for negligence, trespass, and nuisance.
- Dow Chemical Company v. Anglers E. & C. Inc. – Represented a Potentially Responsible Party in this Superfund and Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act cost recovery action brought by other PRPs.
- Reigle v. Strategic Materials, Inc., Trent Lee and Jean Lee, and Visteon Corporation – Represent plaintiffs in successful RCRA imminent and substantial endangerment citizen suit.
J.D., University of Kentucky College of Law, 2014
- CALI Award for Environmental Law
- Order of the Coif
- Kentucky Journal of Equine, Agriculture, and Natural Resources Law, Articles Editor
- Reed Club Best Appellee Brief, Legal Writing Appellate Brief Competition;
- United States District Court Judicial Fellows Program
B.S., summa cum laude, University of Kentucky, 2011 (Agricultural Biotechnology)
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
Recognized by Best Lawyers® as “Ones to Watch” in Environmental Law and Patent Law, 2021
- Summer Clerk for the Southern Environmental Law Center, Atlanta, GA, 2013
- Extern for the Kentucky Energy and Environmental Cabinet, Frankfort, KY, January-April, 2013
- Prosecutorial Intern for the Fayette Commonwealth’s Attorney, Lexington, KY, Summer 2012
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Louisville Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Rotary Club of Louisville
- Greater Louisville Inc. Environment & Energy Committee
- Boy Scouts of America
- Frequent contributor to Wyatt’s Environmental Law Blog.
- “S. Ct. Issues Most Significant Clean Water Act Decision in More than 15 Years.” Wyatt’s Environmental Law Blog, June 2020.
- “EPA’s Muddy ‘Waters of the U.S.’ Rule,” Waterproof Magazine, Quarterly Publication of the Kentucky Rural Water Association, Fall 2016 (Volume XVIII, Number 3).
- “EPA Issues Final Rule to Cut Methane Emissions from Oil and Gas Industry,” Wyatt Environmental Update, May 18, 2016.
- “Sixth Circuit Retains Jurisdiction over Challenges to Clean Water Rule,” Wyatt Environmental Update, February 23, 2016.
- “Supreme Court Stays the Clean Power Plan,” Wyatt Environmental Update, February 10, 2016.
- “Turning Audit Findings into Silver Linings,” 19th Annual Kentucky Environmental Conference, (March 25, 2021)
- “Risk Based Management and Closure of Contaminated Property,” 9th Annual Kentucky Commercial Real Estate Conference, Louisville, Kentucky (October 23, 2019)
- “Boiler MACT Litigation Update,” Kentucky Chamber’s 21st Annual Kentucky Environmental Permitting and Reporting Conference, Lexington, Kentucky (August 15, 2018)
- “The Impact of Miller v. Brown-Forman,” Kentucky Chamber’s 6th Annual Environmental Conference, Lexington, Kentucky (March 8, 2018)
- “Environmental Update including the Stream Protection Rule, and what Constitutes Criminal Behavior Following the Don Blankenship Trial,” 29th Annual Kentucky Professional Engineers in Mining Seminar, Lexington, Kentucky (August 26, 2016)
- “Real Estate and Environmental Issues Selected Statutes and Predevelopment Planning,” Kentucky Chamber’s 14th Annual Environmental Conference, Lexington, Kentucky (February 10, 2016)