J. Mark Burton
How do you achieve success for clients?
I strive to lead the client projects I work on, and to accomplish my client’s desired results, in a timely manner, at a fair price, and to have fun along the way.
Mark Burton leads the Firm’s Real Estate & Lending Service Team, and he is the Partner-in-Charge of Finance for the Firm. According to statements in Chambers USA, “People like to work with him. He knows what he’s doing.” He previously served as Chair of the Firm’s Executive Committee, and Partner-in-Charge of its Lexington office.Show More
- Represented construction lender in providing construction loans to develop shopping centers anchored by big box retailers across the Southeast.
- Represented real estate developers in the purchase of underleased shopping centers, which were refurbished, re-tenanted and flipped as part of tax-deferred 1031 exchanges.
- Served as lead counsel for money center bank in a $100 million revolving credit line for a builder/developer.
- Represented real estate investor in the purchase of 25-story office building.
- Represented public university in a public/private partnership utilized to purchase and develop buildings on and off campus for modification into classrooms, offices, housing, restaurants and retail.
- Represented various auto dealer groups in sales and purchases of auto dealerships, including the purchase of a multi-brand dealership and subsequent purchase and consolidation of adjoining parcels, opening and rerouting of access roads and relocation of other auto dealerships to a newly created “auto mall.”
- Represented a national title insurance company in a complex title matter on a $60 million dollar national hotel chain property.
- Advised numerous mineral and energy clients on real estate-related sales and dispositions.
- Lead counsel for bank seeking to make secured multi-million dollar loan to pay off bondholders of coal land company.
- Counsel to various lending institutions in loan workouts and restructurings, forbearance agreements, deed-in-lieu transactions and foreclosure of various commercial properties.
- Represented receivers in various commercial loan foreclosures.
- Provided local counsel opinions in connection with a variety of multi-state loan transactions.
- Represented landlords and tenants in various commercial lease transactions.
- J.D., University of Kentucky, 1980
- B.A., Roanoke College, 1977
- Fayette County Bar Association
- United States District Court of the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Woodward/Whites’ The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Lexington Real Estate Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Woodward/Whites’ The Best Lawyers in America® Real Estate Law, 2007-Present
- Chambers USA® 2010-Present. Clients interviewed by Chambers USA describe Mr. Burton as an “excellent” and “outstanding” real estate lawyer who is “easy to understand.” In addition, clients interviewed say that he has “excellent problem-solving skills” and a “very high level of expertise, which makes things go very easily, and gets the job done.” Clients also describe him as “a great lawyer to have on the other side because he makes the deal pass much easier and quicker.”
- Recognized by his peers in Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- AV Rated Martindale-Hubbell
- Leadership Lexington 1991
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Fayette County and Kentucky Bar Associations
- Board of Directors of the Fayette County Bar Foundation, Former Vice-President
- Lifetime Member of the Board of the Lexington Speech and Hearing Center