Wyatt’s Taxation Team has extensive experience in the areas of federal, state and local taxation. We handle litigation and planning matters for a wide variety of clients including publicly-traded and closely-held corporations, S corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, trusts, estates and tax-exempt organizations.
These representations entail issues involving corporate and individual income tax (regular and AMT), corporate license tax, property tax, sales and use tax, severance tax, municipal occupational tax, special license and excise taxes, PSC property tax, and gasoline tax. A significant segment of our federal tax work is in the employee benefits area.
We have experience in handling tax controversies at the federal, state and local levels. Illustrative of that aspect of our practice is our work in the two largest tax cases in Kentucky history, one involving assessments of tax and penalties in excess of $300,000,000 and the other relating to the tax treatment of federal retiree pensions, a variety of unitary tax cases, and a challenge of the constitutionality of the state intangible tax.
Our tax practice also extends to such other areas as:
- structuring acquisitions, dispositions, formations and dissolutions of corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships
- issues unique to tax-exempt organizations, with particular emphasis in healthcare and civic organizations
- participation in the drafting of state tax legislation relating to a variety of taxpayers and topics, including limited liability companies, banks, and certain sales and use tax exemptions
- issues relating to both qualified and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements
- bankruptcy tax issues
- issues relating to the maximization of tax incentives available to businesses in Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee.
In 2020, the Board considered at length, and ultimately decided to approve, a tax increase to improve outcomes for tens...