Related Areas of FocusCorporate Venture CapitalEmerging BusinessesEmployee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs)Franchise LawMergers & AcquisitionsSecuritiesVenture Capital
At Wyatt, we help clients navigate routine and complex legal issues involving franchise businesses. We work with clients as they explore franchising opportunities and investments, comply with federal and state franchise laws, and manage the everyday operations of franchises and franchise systems. Some of the franchise law areas we address with our clients include:
- Preparation of initial Franchise Disclosure Documents (FDD), and annual and quarterly FDD updates
- State registrations – initial, annual and quarterly filings
- Acquisitions of single and multi-unit franchise operations
- Creation of startup franchise systems
- Dealing with franchise law exemptions and exempt transactions
- Creation and operation of franchisee associations
- Real estate considerations associated with franchisor-franchisee/tenant-landlord relationships
- Various transfer-related litigation and other litigated matters involving franchise interests
We also advise clients considering single-unit and multi-unit franchise investments, including (a) FDD, franchise agreement, area development agreement and other customary document review, (b) negotiation of key contract points, and (c) assistance with due diligence review efforts relating to franchisors.
Because the operation of a franchise system creates a myriad of legal issues for both franchisors and franchisees ranging from the creation and protection of intellectual property rights in the public domain to the creation, interpretation and enforcement of contractual rights between franchise interests, Wyatt offers an array of experienced litigators from our diversified service teams to advise and assist clients in matters which may require litigation.
When clients must engage in litigation regarding their franchise operations, our attorneys have the experience to best address specific issues which may arise, either through litigation/arbitration or mediation.
Most recently we represented a privately-held Fortune 500 company with more than 5,000 company-owned and franchise locations nationwide in litigation involving violation of non-compete covenants with employees and former franchisees.