How do you achieve success for clients?
The key to achieving success for clients is recognizing that each client’s situation is unique and then tailoring our actions appropriately. That said, what I really get a kick out of is when a client is amazed that a firm from Kentucky is looking after their IP portfolio in countries on the other side of the world.
Matt Williams is a member of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Protection & Litigation Service Team. He concentrates his practice in the area of intellectual property law including patent prosecution and enforcement, trademark prosecution and enforcement, trade secrets, copyrights, client counseling, transaction support, IP licensing, and IP litigation.Show More
- Represents individuals and corporations in evaluating potential trade and service marks, prosecuting state, federal, and Madrid Protocol applications for trade and service marks, enforcing trademark rights against others, and engaging and managing local counsel to prosecute national applications and to oppose conflicting applications and registrations in other countries.
- Represents individuals and corporations in Opposition and Cancellation proceedings in front of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Represents individuals and corporations in evaluating the patentability of inventions, prosecuting patent applications, and enforcing patent rights.
- Counsels individuals and corporations on questions of whether their products or methods would infringe on the patent rights of another and defends individuals and corporations against claims that their products or methods infringe on the patent rights of another.
- Represents individuals and corporations in enforcing their trade and service mark rights against cybersquatters in domain name disputes under ICANN’s Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy.
- AAF-McQuay, Inc.
- Ebonite International, Inc.
- Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc.
J.D., summa cum laude, Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville, 2004
- Brandeis Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Senior Editor – Notes Brandeis Law Journal, Volume 42
- Trademark Law moot court team, 2003-2004, 2004
B.S. with highest honors, Speed Scientific School at the University of Louisville, 1992, (Engineering Science)
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Trademark Law 2020-2021 and Copyright Law 2021
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Intellectual Property. Clients interviewed by Chambers USA describe Mr. Williams as an “extraordinary lawyer,” “an expert in his field,” and “he understands what we’re trying to do.”
- Recognized by his peers as a Kentucky Super Lawyer® 2013 – present
- Recognized as one of the “Top Lawyers” in the areas of Copyright Law, Information Technology Law and Patent Law by Louisville Magazine, March 2014
- Mr. Williams joined the firm in 2005. Before entering the practice of law, he spent ten years at G.E. Appliances as a design engineer, quality engineer, manufacturing supervisor, and purchasing agent.
- Mr. Williams prosecutes patent and trademark applications and advises clients regarding intellectual property matters. He has experience with technologies including consumer products, appliances, refrigeration, medical devices, statistical process control, statistical quality control, and manufacturing machinery including stamping, die-casting, injection molding, and palletizing and material handling. He represents intellectual property owners in patent, trademark, and copyright infringement litigation.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Louisville and Kentucky Bar Associations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
Habitat for Humanity; Board of Directors
- “Update on Intellectual Property Issues in Equine Activities,” UK/CLE’s 30th Annual National Conference on Equine Law, Lexington, KY, April 2015
- “Patents and Trademarks,” Wyatt’s 7th Annual In-House Counsel Institute, Louisville, KY, June 2014
- “Hot Topics in IP Law – Non-Traditional Trademarks,” Kentucky Bar Association/Louisville Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section, June 2012