James G. M. Lenschau
James G. M. Lenschau is a member of the Firm’s Real Estate & Construction Service Team. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business transactions, economic development, conservation, commercial real estate, environmental law, commercial lending, secured transactions and title insurance and tax sales.
Mr. Lenschau represents a wide variety of entities, ranging from start-ups and non-profits to investor groups in a variety of business transactions. He also advises and assists clients on a wide range of related matters including environmental, entitlements, and corporate governance.Show More
- Advise lenders and borrowers in a variety of real estate and asset based loan transactions, including multi-state loans, loan syndications, participations, refinancing, defeasance, mezzanine financing, workouts and foreclosures.
- Represent owners, landlords and tenants of real estate in a wide variety of projects, including the acquisition, financing, leasing and sale of shopping centers, hotels and multi-family housing developments, and office, commercial, and retail spaces and centers.
- Assist businesses that are expanding in or relocating to Tennessee through state incentives and payments-in-lieu-of-taxes (PILOT) agreements.
- Draft and negotiate documents related to entity formation, acquisition and sale.
- Drafting and negotiating Brownfield agreements.
- Counsel real estate developers in a wide variety of residential, office, commercial and retail developments.
J.D., Southern Methodist University, 1998
- Editor-in-Chief, Computer Law Review and Technology Journal.
B.S., University of California, Davis, 1984
- Approved Title Examining Attorney Chicago National Title Insurance Company
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Tennessee in the area of Real Estate (2013-2019)
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Commercial Transactions/ UCC Law and Real Estate Law, 2016-2021
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Memphis Bar Association
- Past Board Member (2005)
- Environment Section Member
- Memphis Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Environmental Section, Executive Council (2014 – Present)
- Real Estate Section, Executive Council (2015 – Present)
- Real Estate Committee, Incoming Chair
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member (2004 – Present)
- Memphis & Shelby County Air Pollution Control Board
- Member (2010 – Present)
- Chairperson (2014 – Present)
- Shelby Farms Park Conservancy
- Member, Conservation + Sustainability Committee
- Ombudsman for local Mensa Chapter
Jim has lectured on commercial and real estate law topics for programs sponsored by the Memphis Bar Association, the International Council of Shopping Centers, various CLE providers and several title insurance companies.