George J. Miller
George Miller is a member of the Firm’s Labor & Employment Service Team. He concentrates his practice in the areas of labor and employment law and eminent domain law.Show More
- J.D., University of Kentucky College of Law; staff member of the Kentucky Law Journal, 1984
- Ph.D., Brown University, 1981
- A.M., Brown University, 1978
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, 1975
- Kentucky State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth and Sixth Circuits
- “Provides amazing leadership” and is “an excellent labor lawyer who does a great job for clients.”
Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, in the area of Labor & Employment.
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year Employment Law-Management, 2018
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Employment Law-Management and Labor Law-Management, 2009-2011, 2010-2021 and Litigation-Labor and Employment, 2009-2021
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Lexington Litigation-Labor and Employment “Lawyer of the Year”
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Lexington Labor Law-Management “Lawyer of the Year”
- Highest Professional Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Recognized by his peers in Kentucky’s Super Lawyers® 2007-2021
- Elected a Fellow in The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Adjunct Professor, University of Kentucky College of Law, 1985-86 (Legal Writing), 1989-90 (Introduction to Philosophy of Law; Jurisprudence); Fall 2011-present (Labor Law)
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Kentucky, 1980-81
- U.S. Air Force, 1968-1972 (assigned to 33rd Communications Squadron, 15th Air Force Combat Operations Center, March AFB, Riverside, CA.)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Fayette County and Kentucky Bar Associations
- Past Secretary and President of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the Kentucky Bar Association
- Past Member of the Kentucky Bar Association House of Delegates
- Coordinator for American Bar Association Labor & Employment Section Law Student Outreach Program at the University of Kentucky College of Law (2003-present).
- Board of Directors, Transit Authority of the Lexington-Fayette County Urban-County Government, 2007-2015 (Vice-Chair, 2008-2010, Chair, 2010-2011)
- Board of Directors of the Kentucky Blood Center, 1998-2010 (Chair, 2002-2006)
- Board of Directors of the Bluegrass Chapter of the American Red Cross, 1998-2003 (Chair, 2002-2003)
- “Responsive Pleadings,” Ch. 8 in Kentucky Civil Practice Before Trial, 4th ed., (University of Kentucky College of Law Office of Continuing Legal Education, 2016).
- Chapter Editor, Ch. 12 (“Remedies for Inappropriate Discipline”), in Discipline and Discharge in Arbitration, 3rd. ed., N. Brand & M. Biren, (BNA, 2015).
- Contributing Author, Legal Aspects of Horse Farm Operations (4th ed. 2014), University of Kentucky College of Law, Office of Continuing Legal Education.
- “Human Resources,” Ch. 10 in Emerging Companies Guide: A Resource for Professionals and Entrepreneurs, 2nd ed., American Bar Association.
- “Responsive Pleadings,” Ch. 8 in Kentucky Civil Practice Before Trial, 3rd ed., (University of Kentucky College of Law Office of Continuing Legal Education, 2008).
- “Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining,” Ch. 16 in Employment Law in Kentucky, 4th ed., (University of Kentucky College of Law Office of Continuing Legal Education, 2013).
- “The TEAM Act of 1997—Congress Tries Again,” World Reports, Vol. IX, No. 2 (1997).
- “How to Prepare for and Manage an OSHA Inspection,” Business Bulletin, (Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, 1997).
- “Employee Handbooks and the National Labor Relations Act: Traps for the Unwary,” (with Michael K. Kirk), Fayette County Bar News, March-April 1996.
- “The Impact of Article II of the National Bituminous Coal Wage Agreement of 1988 on the Sale, Acquisition and Operation of Coal Property,” II Eastern Mineral Law Foundation, Ch. 8 (1990).
Mr. Miller is a frequent speaker on topics related to labor and employment law. His seminars and presentations include:
- Employee training and presentations to numerous clients on topics such as union avoidance, strike preparation, sexual harassment, and FMLA compliance.
- “Update on Labor Law Issues Affecting the Employment Lawyer,” 13th Biennial Employment Law Institute, University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, 2012.
- Presentation of the employer’s case in a mock trial of an employment termination case at the 2010 annual meeting of the Kentucky State Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management, Louisville, KY, 2010-2014.
- “Top 10 Wage & Hour Mistakes,” meeting of the Kentucky Association of Housing Authorities, Lexington, Kentucky, December 6, 2010.
- “Family and Medical Leave Act Update,” presented at a seminar sponsored by Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, Lexington, Kentucky, August 26, 2010.
- “Trends in HR Law and Litigation: Keeping Your Company Compliant,” webinar sponsored by the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, February 18, 2010.
- “Unionization and Union Avoidance,” presentation at Fundamentals of Employment Law, Sterling Education Systems, Louisville, Kentucky, October 2009
- “Current Labor and Employment Issues in Blood Banking,” Interim Meeting of America’s Blood Centers, Santa Rosa, California, August 2009
- “The New FMLA Regulations,” and “Military Leave under the FMLA,” FMLA Master Class, M. Lee Smith Publishers, Louisville, Kentucky, April 2009
- “The Employee Free Choice Act,” presentation at Blueprint for Change seminar sponsored by Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, Lexington, Kentucky, March 2009
- “Responsive Pleadings,” a recorded presentation for the University of Kentucky College of Law Continuing Legal Education Program, 2009
- “Covenants Not to Compete and Confidentiality Agreements,” 9th Biennial Employment Law Institute, University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, June 2004
- “Protecting Your Organization from Costly Wage and Hour Violations,” Council on Education in Management Seminar, Lexington, Kentucky, September 2003
- “Workforce Reductions and Other Employment Termination Issues,” presentation to clients of Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, Bowling Green, Kentucky, March 2003
- “Basics of Wage and Hour Law,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Lexington, Kentucky, October 2001 and 2000
- “Arbitration and Mediation of Employment Disputes,” Associated Industries of Kentucky, Louisville, Kentucky, July 2001
- “The Family and Medical Leave Act and Related State Laws,” presented to management employees of a national manufacturing company client, 2001
- “Facing a Renewed Union Challenge,” Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Lexington, Kentucky, February 2001
- “Union Organizing Activity in Blood Banking,” annual meeting of American Association of Blood Banks, Washington, D.C., November 7, 2000
- “The Injured Worker: Framing the Issues and Coverages,” 7th Biennial Employment Law Institute, University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, 2000
- “The Absent Employee: The Interplay Between the ADA, the FMLA, Workers’ Compensation, and the Employer’s Leave and Attendance Policies,” 6th Biennial Employment Law Institute, University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky 1998
- “Labor and Employment Aspects of Mine Closings,” 19th Annual University of Kentucky Mineral Law Conference, Lexington, Kentucky, 1994
- “Condemnation of Minerals: Damages Issues,” 17th Annual University of Kentucky Mineral Law Conference, Lexington, Kentucky, 1992