G. Brian Wells
Brian Wells concentrates his practice in the area of general business law, mergers and acquisitions, real estate lending transactions, commercial leasing, and contract drafting and negotiation. He has also represented a variety of clients in commercial litigation matters before both state and federal courts. Mr. Wells is a member of the Corporate and Securities Service Team and is the Co-Service Team Leader of the Firm’s Natural Resources & Environmental Service Team.
Mr. Wells has been included in Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® since 2013 and has been listed as a Rising Star in Kentucky Super Lawyers since 2015.
- Lead counsel to an energy exploration and production company in connection with a syndicated lending transaction involving a national bank.
- Lead counsel to a mining company in connection with a syndicated lending transaction involving an international bank in excess of $45mm.
- Counsel to a real estate holding company relating to the drafting and negotiation of commercial leases in multiple states;
- Lead counsel to an energy exploration and production company in connection with the acquisition of reserves and producing assets in excess of $40mm from a private equity firm.
- Lead counsel to a family-owned business in connection with the acquisition of a company that is in the business of importing goods from Asia.
- Representation of a land holding company in lease dispute concerning the failure to pay rents and royalties.
- Representation of a land holding company in connection with a right-of-way dispute with a publicly-traded transportation company.
- Representation of a regional bank in a variety of lending and banking law issues.
- LL.M., Georgetown University, 2005
- J.D., University of Louisville, 2004
- B.A., University of Kentucky, 2001
- United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky
- United States Tax Court
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year Mining Law, 2018
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® Mining Law, 2013-2021
- Recognized in Kentucky Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star, 2015-2018
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Environment, Natural Resources & Utilities: Natural Resources, 2016-2020
- Best Appellee Brief; Tax Moot Court Competition, 2002
- Brandeis Inn of Court, Pupil, 2003
- Selected issues in the Law of Co-Tenancy, 2007
- Restraints on Alienation in Coal Leases, 2012
- Sale/Purchase of Coal Mines and Reserves, NBI Kentucky Coal Law Seminar, June 2015
- Acquisition of Distressed Assets, Ecology and Environment, Inc. Coal Conference, 2013.
- Restraints on Alienation in Coal Leases, Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, 33rd Annual Institute, 2012.
- Contract Mining Agreements – What You Do and Don’t Want, Energy and Mineral Foundation, 33rd Mineral Law Conference, 2008.
- Selected Issues in the Law of Co-Tenancy, Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, 28th Institute, 2007.