Daniel C. Soldato
How do you achieve success for clients?
I make an effort to understand the client’s business objectives and to be mindful of those objectives in all aspects of my work for the client.
Daniel Soldato is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Health Care Service Team and focuses his practice on corporate services and regulatory matters for healthcare organizations.
- Represents hospitals and other providers in the sale and transfer of business assets and interests, including the sale of health care facilities.
- Negotiates operating agreements, employment agreements and service agreements on behalf of various health care providers.
- Represents dialysis providers in a number of regulatory, transactional and other matters.
- Advises clients on issues arising from health care fraud and abuse laws, and the Stark Law.
- Negotiates managed care contracts on behalf of hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers.
- Counsels hospitals on regulatory and contract issues related to the 340B drug pricing program.
- Represents hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and physicians in challenges to overpayment claims by state Medicaid RAC auditors, including Ingenix (OptumInsight).
- Assists hospitals and other health care providers in resolving Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues.
- Advises clients on HIPAA and the HITECH Act.
- Develops charity care policies for hospitals and health systems based upon applicable regulatory guidance.
- Advises a variety of clients, including medical device companies, hospitals and physician practices on state licensure issues.
- Advises medical device companies regarding obligations under state and federal “sunshine laws.”
- Assists medical device manufacturers in the development of corporate compliance programs, including HIPAA compliance programs.
- Represents nephrologists in negotiating medical director agreements and joint ventures with dialysis companies.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, cum laude, 2007
- M.Ed., University of Notre Dame, 2004
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 2002
Recognized by his peers as a Kentucky Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2015-2018
- Instructor, University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, Certificate of Health Law Program
- Associate, McGuireWoods LLP, Chicago, Illinois, 2007 – 2011
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Kentucky Academy of Hospital Attorneys
- American Health Law Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Co-chair of the UK/CLE Kentucky Health Law Institute, 2020 and 2022
- Notre Dame Club of Central Kentucky, Past Co-President
- Co-Presenter with Carole Christian – “Lessons Learned and Changes to Expect After the Pandemic,” Kentucky Hospital Association Annual Convention, Louisville, Kentucky (May 2022)
- Co-Presenter with Carole Christian – “Value-Based Arrangements and More: Recent Changes to the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute Regulations,” Kentucky Hospital Association Annual Convention (May 2021)
- Moderator – “Current Health Care Compliance Trends and Concerns,” UK/CLE’s Kentucky Health Law Institute, Lexington, Kentucky (September 2020)
- “HIPAA Overview,” Ephraim McDowell Health Compliance Week (November 2019)
- “Moral Dilemmas and Legal Ethics for the Healthcare Attorney,” Panel Member, University of Kentucky’s Health Law Institute (September 2018)
- “HIPAA Overview” and “Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute,” Ephraim McDowell Health Compliance Week (November 2017)
- “Section 603 of the Bi-Partisan Budget Act,” co-presenter with Billy Hopkins, Kentucky Hospital Association Annual Convention, Lexington, Kentucky (May 2017)
- “Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute Review,” Ephraim McDowell Health Compliance Week (November 2016)
- “Hot Legal Issues in Physician Compensation,” UK/CLE’s Kentucky Health Law Institute, Lexington, Kentucky (September 2016)
- Section 501(r) Workshop Instructor, Kentucky Hospital Association, Lexington and Louisville, Kentucky (November 2015)
- “501(r) Update,” Kentucky Hospital Association District Meetings, Madisonville, Hazard, Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky (October 2015)
- “Section 501(r) Requirements for Charitable Hospitals: Challenges and Compliance,” Kentucky Hospital Association Annual Convention, Lexington, Kentucky (May 2015)
- “Section 501(r) Requirements for Charitable Hospitals: A Review of the IRS Final Regulations Implementing Section 501(r),” Kentucky Hospital Association Annual Convention, Lexington, Kentucky (May 2015)
- “340B Drug Pricing Program: A Survey of the Program’s Past, Present and Future,” HFMA Kentucky Chapter 2014 Fall Education Institute, Lexington, Kentucky (October 2014)
- “Catching Some Sun with CMS- Open Payments Reporting,” co-presenter with Kathie McDonald-McClure, Health Care Compliance Association, Mid Central Regional Annual Conference, Louisville, Kentucky (November 2013)
- “Health Care Reform Update,” Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, HR Update, Lexington, Kentucky (June 2012)
- “Health Care Reform Update,” Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, HR Update, Louisville, Kentucky (May 2012)
- “Health Care Reform Law Update,” Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, LLP, Health Care Services Team Seminar (April 2012)
- “Medicaid RAC Auditor Program Update,” Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, LLP, Health Care Services Team Seminar (April 2012)
- “Proposed 60-Day Rule on Reporting and Returning Medicare Overpayments,” Louisville Bar Association CLE (April 2012)
- “Health Care Reform Status Report,” Kentucky Society of CPAs Healthcare Conference (May 2011)
- “Ethical Issues in Life Sciences, Medical Devices,” Chicago Bar Association CLE Seminar (April 2009)
- “Life Sciences Sales and Marketing Compliance Update,” McGuireWoods LLP Webinar (March 2009)
- “AHLA Kentucky Fraud & Abuse Law Survey,” Co-author with Billy Hopkins
- “501(r) (u) (in) (compliance)?” Co-author with Rosalind Cordini, Louisville Bar Association BarBriefs, November 2013
- “Developing a Compliant Approach to Industry Support for Research and Education in a Climate of Scrutiny,” Co-author, Health Care Law Monthly, February 2010
- “AdvaMed’s Updated Code of Ethics and Its Impact on the Medical Devices Industry,” Co-author, Medical Devices Law & Industry Report, March 11, 2009
- “Medical Device Manufacturers and Distributors in State Regulators’ Crosshairs,” Co-author, Medical Devices Law & Industry Report, Vol. 2, No. 18, September 24, 2008
- “Out-of-network Payments for ESRD Care: The National Renal Alliance Case,” Co-author, Nephrology News & Issues, July 2008
- “Freedom of Speech, PDIIs: A Recent Ruling in Maine,” Co-Author, Health Law 360, 2007