Douglas M. Alrutz
How do you achieve success for clients?
Honesty undergirds every aspect of my practice, from the way I speak with my clients, to the way I assess and explain the strengths and weaknesses of the matter for which they have engaged me, to the way we discuss expectations and likely outcomes. A result that exceeds expectations is a goal, but success is often achieved when my clients walk away knowing that the result was fair and achieved at a reasonable rate such that they want to return the next time a need arises.
Doug Alrutz is a member of the Firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Service Team. He concentrates his practice in the areas of bankruptcy, commercial litigation, foreclosure and collection.Show More
Mr. Alrutz has extensive experience in all areas of debt recovery and restructuring including workouts, foreclosure, and litigation. His bankruptcy experience includes representation of secured and unsecured creditors such as financial institutions, real property owners, equipment lessors, and suppliers.
He regularly represents parties in asset sales in bankruptcy cases and handles bankruptcy preference litigation defense throughout the United States. Other related experience includes real estate litigation, lease default and evictions, and general commercial litigation. Mr. Alrutz frequently serves as a Special Judge in the General Sessions Court for Shelby County, TN.
J.D., University of Tennessee
- Vice-Chair of the Moot Court Board, 1985
B.S., University of Tennessee with honors, 1981
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Highest Professional Rating (AV®) by Martindale-Hubbell
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Memphis Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2016-2021
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES & MEMBERSHIPS
- Memphis Bar Association, member, Board of Directors, 2003, Chair of the Bankruptcy Section, 1994-1995
- Tennessee Bar Association, member, District Representative, Young Lawyers’ Division, 1990-1994
- Barrister Member of the Leo Bearman, Sr. American Inn of Court
- Board of Directors of the Mid-South Commercial Law Institute, 2012 – 2017 and 2019
- Memphis Bar Foundation, President 2014 – 2016
“Congress has Simplified Chapter 11 for small businesses.” Memphis Business Journal, June 2020.
Mr. Alrutz has lectured for various professional groups on bankruptcy and collection issues.