Patrick W. Mattingly
Pat Mattingly concentrates his practice in business law primarily representing entrepreneurs, management teams and privately owned businesses in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, exit and succession planning, corporate governance, raising debt and equity capital and strategic partnerships. He also represents private equity and venture capital firms in connection with their investments in such businesses, including diligence, deal structure, negotiation, documentation and closing of transactions.
- Representation of an entrepreneur in developing an exit plan to sell his family business including selection of the appropriate private equity buyer; deal structure; negotiation, documentation and closing of sale.
- Representation of an energy consulting firm with an international footprint through auction process resulting in recapitalization providing founder and early stage investors with liquidity, a private equity firm with controlling interest and the management team with working capital and incentive compensation to accelerate growth of the business.
- Representation of second generation family business owner in tax efficient transfer to third generation.
- Representation of a California based private equity firm in connection with its investment in an Ohio based surface coal mining company.
- Representation of a medical device manufacturing company in connection with early stage debt and equity financings by venture capital firms, corporate governance issues and later through an auction process resulting in recapitalization providing early stage investors with liquidity, a private equity firm with controlling interest and the management team with working capital and incentive compensation to accelerate growth of the business.
- Representation of a specialty coal producer in Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee in connection with organizational structure, governance, raising debt and equity capital.
- Representation of an on-line media company that aggregates content for technology decision makers and generates sales leads for vendors in connection with its organization, private placement of units, commercial bank loans and strategic partnerships and ultimately its sale to a strategic buyer.
- Representation of dry cleaners company with 135 locations in 11 states in connection with management buyout, subsequent redemption of minority shareholder, corporate structure issues and its acquisitions and divestitures program.
- Representation of an Eastern Kentucky coal producer in connection with its sale to a private equity firm.
- Representation of a job recruitment advertising company in connection with senior and mezzanine debt financing placement for recapitalization of the company providing liquidity for co-founder and working capital to accelerate growth of the company.
- Representation of various companies in connection with management incentive compensation plans.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Louisville, 1980
- B.A., Miami University (Ohio), 1974
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2006-2019, and Venture Capital Law, 2013-2019, Commercial Litigation and Health Care Law 2021.
- Best Lawyers® 2014 Louisville Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Best Lawyers® 2011 Louisville Mergers & Acquisitions Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Corporate Law/Mergers & Acquisitions. Clients interviewed by Chambers USA describe Mr. Mattingly as “a fine and well-respected lawyer,” “a deal-maker and a top-flight practitioner,” “low key but effective” and “accomplished.”
- Recognized by his peers as one of the Kentucky Super Lawyers® since 2007
- Highest Professional Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Recognized as one of the “Top Lawyers” in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2013) and Venture Capital Law (2013-Present) by Louisville Magazine
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIP
- Louisville, Kentucky and American Bar Associations
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Louisville and Kentucky Chambers of Commerce.