Marianna J. Michael
Marianna Michael is a member of the Firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Service Team. She assists in the representation of a broad range of clients in a variety of cases including commercial disputes, employment matters, immigration law, and employee benefits matters.Show More
- Representation of employers in numerous matters, including commercial disputes with vendors, actions based on alleged personal injuries or violations of statutory or constitutional rights, as well as employment matters and labor arbitration.
- Obtained partial summary judgment for employer in case involving race discrimination, gender discrimination, and retaliation claims.
- Assist clients with obtaining visas for workers from Mexico, Jamaica, Guatemala, and Ireland through H-2A and H-2B visas.
- Assist clients with federal immigration law compliance.
- Assist clients by reviewing documents to ensure ERISA compliance.
- Assist clients in successfully transitioning from using H-2B visas to H-2A visas.
- Second chaired breach of contract trial to successful outcome.
- Successfully compelled documents in corporate litigation discovery dispute.
- Successfully protected multiple clients’ trademarks from infringement.
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Louisville, 2018
- Brandeis School of Law
- Articles Editor, University of Louisville Law Review
- Brandeis Inn of Court
- Wagner Labor & Employment Moot Court Team
- Louis D. Brandeis Inn of Court Participant
- CALI Awards for Employment Discrimination, Labor Law, and Immigration Law
B.A., University of Louisville
- Harlan Scholar
- Honors Scholar
- Honors Program Outstanding Graduate, 2015
- Summer Law Clerk for the U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review, 2017
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable David Hale, U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky, 2016
- Intern, Jefferson County Circuit Court, 2012
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville Foundation, Board of Directors
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville, Member
- Leadership Louisville’s Focus Louisville, 2018
- Human Rights Advocacy Project Fellow, 2015 – 2018
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville Foundation, Vice Chair of Board of Directors (Professional Activities and Memberships)
- Civilian Review and Accountability Board Member (Civic Involvement)
- “Supreme Court of Kentucky Extends Limitation on In-Person Proceedings.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, January 2021.
- “NLRB Opinion Reaffirms Focus on Message Rather than Intent.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, December 2020.
- “Supreme Court of Kentucky Issues Guidance for Counties in ‘Red Zones.'” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, November 2020.
- “Two New Orders Issued by the Supreme Court of Kentucky.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, July 2020.
- “DOL Offers Guidance on Retail Exemptions.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, July 2020.
- “SCOTUS Rules that Title VII Protects Employees from Discrimination on the Basis of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, June 2020.
- “The Supreme Court of Kentucky Issues Guidance Regarding Upcoming Trials.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, May 2020.
- “Judicial Branch Task Forces Reveal Re-Opening Guidelines.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, May 2020.
- “Considerations When Severing Employment Relationships With Furloughed Employees.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, April 2020.
- “In Its Latest Order, the Supreme Court of Kentucky Extends its Restrictions to May 31, 2020.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, April 2020.
- “The Supreme Court of Kentucky Issues Amended Order 2020-16.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, April 2020.
- “The Department of Labor Issues Temporary Rule for Paid Leave.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, April 2020.
- “THE SUPREME COURT OF KENTUCKY’S AMENDED ORDER.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, March 2020.
- “Extension of Filing Deadlines by Supreme Court of Kentucky.” Co-authored with Victoria Boland Fuller, Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, March 2020.
- “EEOC ISSUES GUIDANCE ON WHAT EMPLOYERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE ADA AND REHABILITATION ACT IN LIGHT OF COVID-19.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, March 2020.
- “NLRB Reaffirms Decertification Petition Timeline.” Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, December 2019.
- “Payments and Perks: the DOL Announces a Proposal to Clarify What Qualifies as Overtime.” Wyatt’s Labor & Employment Blog, March 2019.
- “Changes in the H-1B Visa Process.”Wyatt’s Employment Law Report, January 2019.
- Enid Trucios-Haynes & Marianna Michael, “Mobilizing a Community: The Effect of President Trump’s Executive Orders on the Country’s Interior,” 22 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 577 (2018).
- Mock Trial for Kentucky Chamber of Commerce’s Society for Human Resource Managers Conference, October 14, 2020
- “Prescription for Trouble: Drug Testing in the Workplace,” Kentucky Chamber of Commerce’s Society for Human Resource Managers Conference, August 28, 2019
- “Immigration Update: Walls, Walls, and More Walls,” Wyatt Employment Law Seminar, May 9 and May 21, 2019