John W. Woodard, Jr.
How do your clients define success?
My litigation clients universally define success as the efficient, effective and fair resolution of their disputes.
John Woodard has more than 25 years of litigation experience handling a wide variety of matters including construction; employment; labor; insurance; environmental; civil rights; administrative law; product liability; toxic torts; public procurement; and all types of business litigation in state and federal courts throughout Indiana and Kentucky.Show More
- English v. General Electric Company, 2015, U.S. Dist. Ct. S.D. of Indiana. Obtained defense verdict for General Electric in disability discrimination case.
- Starks Mech., Inc. v. New Albany-Floyd County Consol. Sch. Corp., 854 N.E.2d 936 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006). Obtained summary judgment defeating contractor’s claim for additional costs. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Ind. Gaming Co. v. Blevins, 724 N.E.2d 274 (Ind. Ct. App. 2000). Obtained dismissal for contractor accused of violating common construction wage provisions in a construction contract. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- United Steel Workers of Am., AFL-CIO-CLC v. Saint Gobain Ceramics & Plastics, Inc., 505 F.3d 417 (6th Cir. 2007). Briefed and argued a hotly-disputed federal labor law case to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals sitting en banc.
- Ryan v. Philip Morris USA, Inc., No. 1:05CV162, 2006 WL 449207 (N.D. Ind. 2006). Obtained dismissal of wrongful death case for cigarette manufacturer as to plaintiff’s claims of negligence and fraud.
- J.C. v. N. Harrison County Cmty. Sch. Corp., No. 4:04CV0109-DFH-WGH, 2005 WL 280340 (S.D. Ind. 2005). Successfully defended school corporation accused of violating the civil rights of a special needs student.
- Johnson v. Seagram & Sons, Inc., 311 F. Supp. 2d 774 (S.D. Ind. 2004). Obtained summary judgment in an employment discrimination case.
- Haehl v. Wash. Mut. Bank, F.A., 277 F. Supp. 2d 933 (S.D. Ind. 2003). Obtained dismissal defeating putative class action against the bank.
- Meyers v. Furrow Bldg. Materials, 659 N.E.2d 1147 (Ind. Ct. App. 1996). Obtained summary judgment for a defendant in a personal injury case. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Lee v. Friedman, 637 N.E.2d 1318 (Ind. Ct. App. 1994). Obtained dismissal for defendant in a personal injury case. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- General Electric Company
- Interlock Industries, Inc.
- PNC Bank, National Association
- Heartland Payment Systems, Inc.
- New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation
- General Growth Properties, Inc.
- River Ridge Development Authority
(NOTE: the above list excludes certain material financial institutions clients whose policies prohibit specifically naming them in this context)
J.D., Indiana University (Indianapolis)
- Associate Editor of the Indiana Law Review, 1991
B.A., Indiana University (Bloomington), 1987
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Sixth and Seventh Circuits
- Highest Professional AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. Peer references stated, “John is an excellent corporate legal advisor, and an able, accomplished trial attorney.” “John is an outstanding attorney whose ethics are beyond reproach.”
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Litigation-Construction, 2013-2017 and Commercial Litigation, 2013-present
- Recognized by his peers as a Kentucky Super Lawyer®
- Recognized as one of the “Top Lawyers” in the area of Construction Law by Louisville Magazine, March 2012.
- Indiana Bar Foundation’s Pro Bono Publico Award, 1994
- Associate Editor of the Indiana Law Review
Mr. Woodard has served as Counsel for the New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation for over 20 years.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
Indiana, Kentucky and American Bar Associations
- Past Member Board of Directors of Blue Sky Kentucky, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting Americana musical events in Louisville
- Past President, and eight years service as Board member of Interfaith Community Council
- Judge, Indiana State Fair banjo, fiddle and mandolin contests 1988-1990
Mr. Woodard plays traditional Irish music on the banjo, mandolin and bouzouki.