Jacob N. Eldemire Smith
How do you achieve success for clients?
I achieve success for clients by fully immersing myself in their legal matters, taking the posture of a student aiming to learn every possible angle of the unique factual and legal issues associated with their cases, and leaving no stone unturned in legal research, written advocacy, and oral advocacy.
Jake Eldemire Smith is a member of the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution team. He assists with the representation of a broad range of clients in a variety of cases, including appellate practice, constitutional law, commercial litigation and transactional matters.Show More
- TAJ Graphics Enterprises, Inc. v. Sills, CA No. 5:07-CV-143-JRW-LLK, 2020 WL 1480725 (W.D. Ky. Mar. 26, 2020). Obtained dismissal of an action in which plaintiff sought over $20,000,000 in damages asserting breach of various contracts, promissory notes, and guaranties executed in connection with the purchase of a landfill and incinerator operation.
- Obtained summary judgment for county board of education, superintendent, and other employees in personal injury case.
- Representation of wide range of commercial clients in breach of contract litigation, litigation involving constitutional and civil rights, fiduciary litigation, commercial real estate disputes, tort and insurance disputes, healthcare litigation, intellectual property disputes, and construction litigation in the state and federal trial courts of Kentucky and Indiana.
- Representation of the county board of education in various tort and insurance disputes and constitutional and civil rights litigation.
- Appellate representation of clients in commercial and constitutional disputes in the Supreme Court of Kentucky, the Kentucky Court of Appeals, the Michigan Court of Appeals, and other appellate courts in various jurisdictions.
- Representation of clients spanning local businesses, professional athletes, and large corporations in prosecuting trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, as well as enforcement of established trademark rights.
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, 2019
- Member of the Journal of Law and Education
- National Moot Court Team competitor
B.S., University of Louisville, 2014 (Business Economics)
- A four-year starter as an offensive lineman on the Louisville Cardinals football team where he received multiple honors including Freshman All-American, two-time Conference Champion, All-Big East, First Team All-AAC, All-ACC, Team Captain, “Offensive Grinder” Award for work ethic and school record for most games started (51)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Summer Associate, Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, LLP, 2018
- Graduate Assistant, University of Louisville Athletic Department, 2015 – 2017
- Louis D. Brandeis American Inn of Court, Associate Member, 2020-present.
“Employees Injured While Working Remotely May be Entitled to Workers’ Compensation.” Wyatt Employment Law Report, May 2020.