Courtney Ross Samford
Courtney Samford is a member of the Firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Service Team. She concentrates her practice in commercial litigation, labor & employment and higher education.Show More
- Defends clients in commercial litigation suits involving breach of contract, personal injury, and other commercial torts.
- Represents employers in claims involving employment discrimination, retaliation, retaliatory discharge, harassment, and state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Reviews and drafts employee handbooks for employers.
J.D., University of Kentucky, 2010
- Articles Editor of Kentucky Journal of Equine, Agricultural and Natural Resources Law
- Contracts and Litigation Skills CALI Award, 2010
B.A., (Government) Centre College, 2006
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
Recognized by her peers as a Kentucky Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2016 – present
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association, Women Lawyers Section
- Women’s Mining Coalition
- Kentucky Coal Association
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- Lexington Coal Exchange
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (“NACUA”)
- Fayette County Bar Association Women Lawyers’ Association, Board Member
- Girls on the Run, Race Committee
- MS Society, The Best of Lexington Committee
- Board of Directors, Centre College Alumni Association
- Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
- Co-Coordinator, LexArts Workplace Giving Campaign, 2011-present
- Mentor, Kentucky Legal Education Opportunity Program, 2011-present
- “DOL Releases New Online Tool for Employees to Determine Paid Sick Leave Eligibility,” Wyatt Employment Law Report (2020).
- “No Mandatory Antibody Testing,” Wyatt Employment Law Report (2020).
- “EEOC’s Updated Return to Work Guidance,” Wyatt Employment Law Report (2020).
- “NLRB Releases Joint Employer Final Rule,” Wyatt Employment Law Report (2020).
- “NLRB Releases Joint-Employer Final Rule,” Wyatt Employment Law Report (2020).
- “Kentucky Unemployment Insurance Commission Will Not Enforce Decision Pending Appeal,” Wyatt Employment Law Report (2019).
- “Two Notice Requirements Under the Kentucky Pregnant Workers Act Take Effect This Week,” Wyatt Employment Law Report (2020).
- Navigating #MeToo: A Guide To Addressing Sexual Harassment Issues In The Workplace In An Era Of Great Change, Wyatt Employment Law Seminar, April 18 and May 9, 2018
- It’s a Zoo in Here: The Law of Animals in School, University of Kentucky College of Law 2nd Biennial Education Law Conference, September 8, 2017
- Employment Law Update, Wyatt Employment Law Seminar, May 24 and June 13, 2017
- Special Update: Leave Laws, Wyatt Education Law Seminar, October 11, 2016
- Employment and Wage and Hour Update: A Busy Year for the DOL and the EEOC: Wyatt Employment Law Seminar for HR Professionals and In-House Attorneys in Lexington, April 14, 2016.
- 2015 Employment Law Update, Midwest Kentucky SHRM Fall Conference, September 10, 2015.
- Employment Law Update: Things You Should Know for 2015: Wyatt Employment Law Seminar for HR Professionals and In-House Attorneys in Lexington and Louisville, April 22, 2015 and May 20, 2015.
- 2015 Employment Law Update, Bluegrass SHRM, January 13, 2015
- Hiring, Firing and a Little In Between, Co-Presented for Commerce Lexington @330 Series, January 13, 2015
- Title IX: The New Vehicle for Sexual Harassment Complaints, Legal Issues for Educators, September 18, 2014
- Best Practices for Avoiding (or Dealing with) Retaliation Claims, Wyatt Employment Law Seminar for HR Professionals and In-House Attorneys, April 24, 2014
- Preventing Workplace Violence, Kentucky Transportation Conference, January 10, 2014
- Preventing Workplace Violence, Indiana Society for Human Resource Management (“SHRM”) Speaker Series, December 13, 2013
- Vapor Intrusion and Proposed ASTM E1527-13, Kentucky EXCEL, November 14, 2013
- Mock Trial Participant, Annual Kentucky Society for Human Resources Management (“SHRM”) Conference, September 2013
- Oll and Gas Law in Kentucky, Oil, Gas and Mineral Rights Seminar, Co-Presented with Lesly Davis, September 11, 2013
- Employment Law Update 2013, Wyatt Employment Law Seminar for HR Professionals and In-House Attorneys, Co-Presented with Leila O’Carra, April 2013
- Mineral Rights: What You Need To Know Now!, National Business Institute, Co-Presented with Lesly Davis, March 2013
- An Employer’s Rules for Social Networking, Association of Legal Administrators, October 2012
- Sackett v. EPA: Judicial Review of US EPA Administrative Orders, Kentucky EXCEL, September 2012
- Employment Law By The Numbers: A Guide to Workplace Posting and Records Retention Requirements, Kentucky Small Business Development Center, September 2012
- How to Get Sued: HR Errors to Avoid, Wyatt Employment Law Seminar for HR Professionals and In-House Attorneys, Co-Presented with Allison Buckley, April 2012
- Legal Implications of Social Networking, Northern Kentucky Society for Human Resource Management (“SHRM”), August 2011
- Regular Contributor to the Kentucky OSHA Journal.
- “Conveyance and Other Transfers of Mineral Interests,” American Law of Mining 2d, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (2015 Ed.), Contributing Author.
- “Restraints on Alienation of Coal Leases,” Thirty-Third Annual Energy & Mineral Law Institute, Vol. II (2012), Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, Contributing Author.
- EPA’s Regulatory Initiatives Impacting the Coal Industry, Kentucky Coal Association White Paper, Co-Authored with George Seay and Lesly Davis, November 2012
- Contributor to the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce’s Guide to Doing Business in Kentucky and Lex Mundi publications, 2010-present
- Navigating the Administrative Enforcement and Hearing Process, Platt’s Conference, Co-Authored with Lesly Davis, September 2010
- The Role of Administrative Law in Regulating “Mad Cow Disease” as Explained in Creekstone Farms Premium Beef, LLC v. Department of Agriculture, Kentucky Journal of Equine, Agricultural and Natural Resources Law, Vol. 1 (2009)