Christopher R. Hanewald
What’s one of your defining successes?
Being a nationally recognized and published commentator on business tax issues.
Christopher Hanewald is a member of the Firm’s Corporate & Securities Service Team. He concentrates his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and securities, and commercial real estate transactions. Christopher previously spent time working as an in-house Transactional Specialist for a national accounting firm consulting on transaction and deal structure for middle market companies.Show More
- Advised on the setup and structure of a multi-investment Qualified Opportunity Fund focused on operating businesses, multi-family and mixed-use developments.
- Assisted on buy-side acquisition of accounts receivable factoring company.
- Assisted on buy-side acquisition of architectural design firm.
- Managed entity structuring, associated tax research, and consulting deliverables for Qualified Opportunity Zone development of mixed use real estate project employing a mix of tax advantaged capital, public financing components, and carried interests.
- Managed a tax-focused due diligence project for an acquisition by a publicly traded company. Coordinated review of documents, authored deliverable, and worked with client on document requests.
- Managed tax due diligence, advised on acquisition structure, and coordinated service teams in $300M acquisition between Century Casinos, Inc. and Eldorado Resorts, Inc.
J.D., Indiana University Maurer School of Law, 2017
- Notes Editor and Notes Author, Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies
- Sherman Minton Moot Court
B.A. Cum Laude, Rhodes College, 2014 (History and International Studies)
- Member of Mortar Board Honor Society
- Collegiate Athlete 2010 (Soccer)
Prior to joining Wyatt, Christopher was a Senior Tax Research and Transaction Specialist with the Memphis office of CBIZ MHM, LLC.
- “Paycheck Protection Program Forgiveness Uncertainty Stymies Deal-Making,” Bloomberg Tax. August 2020.
- “Denied Business Interruption Claims Could Spur Boom in Captive Insurance,” Bloomberg Tax. May 2020.
- “Private Equity and Corporate Debt Binge: Impact of Disallowed Interest on Deal Making,” Bloomberg Tax Real Estate Journal, 36 REJ Issue No. 04, April 2020.
- “Force Majeure, Understanding Contractual Obligations Amidst COVID-19 Uncertainty,” Memphis Business Journal, March 2020.
- “Rent Relief, Delay, and Other Strategies for Commercial Landlords & Tenants,” Memphis Business Journal, March 2020.
- “Private Equity and Corporate Debt Binge: Impact of Disallowed Interest on Deal Making,” Bloomberg Tax, March 2020.
- “Wayfair Postmortem: Unintended Consequences in the Merger and Acquisition Context,” Tennessee CPA Journal, January 2020.
- “Impact Investing and Finding the Good in Opportunity Zones,” Bloomberg Tax, December 2019.
- Qualified Opportunity Zones: Reviewing the Mechanics, Legal Structuring and Implications and Unanswered Questions, Tennessee Bar Association
- Business Law 2020: Assessing the Opportunity – An In Depth Discussion of Legal Issues Related to the Qualified Opportunity Zone Legislation, Tennessee Bar Association