Employment Law Report
Acting NLRB General Counsel Issues Report on FY 2012 Results
On January 11, 2013, NLRB Acting General Counsel Lafe Solomon released a summary of activities for the Fiscal Year 2012. The following statistics are some that Solomon highlighted on the NLRB’s website:
- Initial elections in union representation elections were conducted in a median of 38 days from the filing of the petition.
- A 91.0% settlement rate was achieved in the Regional Offices in meritorious unfair labor practice cases.
- The Regional Offices won 90.1% of Board and Administrative Law Judge unfair labor practice and compliance decisions in whole or in part.
- 94.5% of the 73 Board decisions under review by the US Courts of Appeals were enforced or affirmed in whole or in part.
- A total of $44,316,059 was recovered on behalf of employees as backpay or reimbursement of fees, dues, and fines. 1,241 employees were offered reinstatement.
According to his report, the NLRB’s total case intake during fiscal year 2012 was 24,275 compared to 25,004 cases in the prior fiscal year, a decrease of 3%. Unfair labor practice cases decreased by 2.5% from the previous year, and total representation cases decreased 6.5% from the prior year.